Thirty students from The University of Texas-Pan American have been selected into the 2000-2001 edition of "Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges."
These students will be recognized at the 22nd annual Awards and Recognitions Convocation, Sunday, April 22 at 3 p.m. at the UTPA Student Union Theatre.
Students are chosen to "Who’s Who" by a nominating committee based on their academic achievements, community service and leadership in extracurricular activities. UTPA juniors and seniors must have at least a 3.0 cumulative grade point average, and graduates must have at least a 3.75 GPA.
Now in its 67th year, the publication features students from more than 1,900 institutions from all 50 states, the District of Columbia and several foreign countries.
This year’s honorees are:
· Edinburg – Genese M. Lamare, biology junior; Jose Rene Martinez, English junior; Gerardo Perez, clinical laboratory sciences senior; Athena Jeanette Ponce, philosophy junior; Melinda C. Rodriguez, nursing graduate student; Gabriela Sandoval, music education senior.
· McAllen – Soraya Graniel, biology senior; Dr. Ralph H. Jackson, management graduate student; Marsha Mason, economics junior; Selvi Sudanthi, Bachelor of Business Administration in Accounting; Ray Arnoldo Villarreal, kinesiology senior; Sheila Jeazul Ybarra, nursing junior
· San Juan – Georgina M. Diaz, interdisciplinary studies graduate student.
· Pharr – Luis Romero, counseling and guidance graduate student.
· Mission – Amanda Garza, biology senior; Amanda Elizabeth Garza, biology junior; Claudia I. Gonzalez, communication disorders senior; Kristy E. Ochoa, Bachelor of Science in Biology.
· Donna – Maria B. Murillo, interdisciplinary studies junior; Ida Trevino, biology junior; Corina A. Uresti, English senior.
· Weslaco – Rene Z. Garza, philosophy and art senior; Juanita Martinez, Master of Science in Rehabilitation Counseling; Sarah Audrey Owens, biology junior.
· Progreso – Florencio Zepeda Jr., public administration graduate student.
· Harlingen – Kathleen T. Corkill, finance senior; Carlos Manuel Valdez, Bachelor of Business Administration in Management.
· Corpus Christi – Heather Lynn Davey, rehabilitative services senior; Rene Immanuel Luna, biology junior.
· Reynosa – Claudia Patricia Aguirre, Bachelor of Science in Clinical Laboratory Sciences.