The Meadows Foundation recently awarded The University of Texas-Pan American a $250,000 grant to complete the University’s purchase of the former Wal-Mart building on South Closner.
|The University of Texas-Pan American recently received $250,000 from the Meadows Foundation for purchase of the former Wal-Mart building on South Closner in Edinburg, now the UTPA Annex. From left, front row, UTPA President Dr. Miguel A. Nevarez; Bruce Esterline, Meadows Foundation vice president for grants; Roy Martinez, UTPA Foundation Board chairman; and Roland S. Arriola, UTPA vice president for External Affairs. Second row, Ed Mercer, UTPA executive officer for Planned Giving; Irene Sanchez-Casas, UTPA director of Stewardship and Annual Giving; and Ed Rivera, UTPA Foundation Board member.|
Known as the UTPA Annex, the facility houses a number of vital public service programs, including the Southwest Border Nonprofit Resource Center, the Minority Business Opportunity Center, the Women’s Empowerment Business Center, the Small Business Development Center, the One Stop Capital Shop and other academic and community education programs.
The Meadows Foundation is a private philanthropic institution established in 1948 by Algur H. and Virginia Meadows to benefit Texans. Since its inception, the Foundation's assets have grown to a current value in excess of $850 million, and it has disbursed more than $430 million in grants and direct charitable expenditures to more than 2,000 Texas institutions and agencies.