It may not have been the Oscar's but the awards ceremony for the State Farm Simple Solutions Video Contest was still special for a number of students at The University of Texas-Pan American.
Raul Resendez, a local State Farm agent, was the keynote speaker at the awards ceremony where more than $4,500 in prizes were presented to students who produced the best videos. Seven categories were identified for Best Video awards. Winners in each category are:
• Safe Driving: "Don't Abbreviate Your Life" by Fernando Martinez, Chuy Gutierrez, Orlando Campa, April Gomez, Luis Moreno and Alexandra Garza;
• Home Safety: "Home Safety" by Rachel Saldana;
• Financial Safety and People's Choice (most You Tube hits): "The Magic of Saving" by Mariana Montero and Luis Moreno;
• Agent's Pick and Most Creative Video: "Driving Safety" by Rachel Saldana; and
• Scream Award (for loudest cheers at the ceremony): "Homeless Joe" by Gerardo Cuellar, Joel Tovar, Manuel Martinez, Alessandra Rios, and Valentin Arroniz.
Pictured following the awards ceremony are (front row, left to right) Manuel Martinez, Joel Tovar, Mariana Montero, and Rachel Saldana and (back row, left to right) Gerardo Cuellar, State Farm Agent Raul Resendez, Chuy Gutierrez and Orlando Campa.
Check out the videos submitted for the Simple Solutions Video Contest here.