Unusually cold weather conditions in the Rio Grande Valley, Feb. 2, resulted in power outages across the region including one at The University of Texas-Pan American campus in Edinburg. Upon learning of the situation, BroncAlert!, UTPA's emergency notification system, was activated to advise the campus community - students, faculty and staff - of the decision to close the campus and suspend classes until 10 a.m. that day.
The BroncAlert! system utilizes three different methods to notify you in the event of an emergency - a voice mail and text message are sent to your cell phone and an e-mail is sent to your UTPA e-mail address only. In order to speed the notification process the system may not send you a voice mail if a text message is acknowledged by the recipient, and vice versa.
Those having problems with notifications from BroncAlert! are asked to be patient as this system is now in transition to a totally "opt out" system. In a notification from the President's Office sent out to the campus community in January, all students, faculty and staff were advised that they would be automatically signed up for BroncAlert! effective the Spring 2011 semester and to update and confirm current information utilized by the BroncAlert! system. Here are the procedures to update your information:
• Staff and faculty: Go to the UTPA Employee Service option in Oracle - (UTPA Employee Self Service> Personal Information > Phone Numbers > Update > Add Another Row > Mobile) to submit current cell phone information.
Please note that your cell phone must be added as a Mobile Phone in order to get notifications.
• Students : Access ASSIST. Log in with your username and password.
1. Under Main Menu select Personal Information
2. Select Update Addresses and Phones
3. Select Current address type to update
*If you do not have an address on file, you will need to insert one. To do so, select address type from the drop-down menu.
*If inserting new address, make sure to enter the address before proceeding to the phone number section.
4. To enter your cell phone number, scroll down past the address section and select Cell Phone from drop down list; enter your cell phone number, and press Submit.
*If you have entered a cell number previously, but it is not classified as Cell Phone, you will need to delete that entry and create a new record below it.
If you continue to have any questions or concerns regarding emergency notification procedures, please contact the Environmental Health and Safety Office at (956) 665-3690.
The University community is encouraged to continue monitoring the UTPA main website for updates during this period of extreme weather conditions.