This service will provide temporary wireless and/or computer access to a guest/visitor at UTPA.
The benefit is that a UTPA guest /visitor will have access to the internet while he/she is on campus for a specified period of time.
Hours of Availability
Hours may vary depending on the type of request made.
Guest Account Requests must be made online by going to acs.utpa.edu https://acs.utpa.edu. The person submitting the request for guest accounts needs to using an on-campus computer or have a VPN connection to the UTPA domain while submitting the request because their UTPA credentials are required. Once the request has been submitted, the contact person will receive a confirmation email verifying the request has been successfully made.
Q: What services are provided at the IT Service Desk and are there any fees for these services?
Account Maintenance(Multiple usernames,locked,expired,resets,etc.),Equipment drop-off, laptop check out, guest account, wireless assistance, ethernet cable distribution. All service provided at the IT Service Desk are free of charge if you are a current UTPA student, staff, or faculty.
Q:How do visitors obtain internet access when visiting UTPA?
A guest account must be requested by the department hosting the guest on campus. Please contact us at 956-665-2020 for more information.
Q:How can I protect my UTPA account?
There are many ways to easily protect your account:
- Don't share your password with others. Protect it.
- Remember: UTPA will never ask for your password.
- Choose a strong password and change it often.
- Create a unique password by using a combination of letters and numbers that aren't easily guessed. For example, if you have a playful beagle, your password might be p14yfulB3aG13.
- Avoid using the same password for other accounts.
- Keep your computer protected using security software (Microsoft Forefront and Avast! are free), which creates a security firewall for your activity and scans for intrusions of malware.
NOTE: Use caution when someone asks for sensitive information through email. Especially if you get an email requesting personal information and/or you're unsure whether UTPA actually sent it. Don't click any links or enter information. Instead, forward the email to firstname.lastname@example.org
so that we can have the suspicious email examined by our security team.
Q:How do I request Guest Accounts for UTPA computer and wireless internet access?
You can request Guest Accounts by logging into: https://acs.utpa.edu
- All fields on the Guest Account request page must be completed for your request to be processed.
- After your request has been received, you will receive an email indicating whether your request was approved or not.
- Once your accounts have been approved and created, you will receive another email indicating that your accounts are ready for download.
- Log back into the above website, and you will see a download link for your accounts.
You must be a full time UTPA Faculty or Staff member to request Guest Accounts.
If you experience any problems with your Guest Accounts, please contact the IT Help Desk at 956-665-2020 or send an email to email@example.com
Q:How do I request Guest Accounts for UTPA internet access if I am not a University employee?
To request Guest Accounts, you must be a University employee.
If you need to request Guest Accounts for an event, and you are not a University employee, please send as much information as possible about your event to firstname.lastname@example.org
. Be sure to include your name and contact number, so that we may reach you to facilitate your request.
Q:What if I am not a University employee or a currently enrolled student but need an email account, or access to University resources such as Wi-Fi, files, and library databases?
For accounts that require special access to University resources that are not available with standard Guest Accounts, a Request for Individual Computer/Internet Access (UIC)
form must be completed.
- A separate form is required for each type of request.
- Accounts are good for up to one year, and must be renewed annually.
- A current university faculty or staff member must sponsor your request.
- A minimum of 5 business days is needed for the request to be processed.