Domain Registration and Hosting
Web hosting and domain registrations for commercial domain names like .COM, .NET or .ORG for official UTPA content is available for departments with legitimate university related activities. In general all departments and units within UTPA are encouraged to use the .utpa.edu namespace. A commercial domain name may be required if all of the following conditions are met:
- The domain will be used by people in different organizations outside of UTPA as part of the Universities’ involvement in a collaborative effort.
- It is not for a department or unit within the University and the name is not similar to an existing departmental domain name.
- It does not adversely affect the branding and marketing of UTPA.
- It is for a project as part of a grant or external funding.
- If it is part of an outsourced solution and it is not possible to use the .utpa.edu namespace.
- Ensure that official UTPA content is not lost when departments neglect to renew commercial domain names or if individuals leave the organization.
- Provide our visitors with a consistent .utpa.edu experience that follows our branding strategy and marketing goals.
- Avoid annual expense to UTPA of potentially renewing a large number of commercial domain names.
Hours of Availability
The service is available 24 x 7 x 365, except during planned maintenance and upgrades.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for getting started with this service.
Students Faculty Staff
Q:Can I register a .com, .net, .org or other such domains for my website?
External domains such as these cannot be registered for departmental use. Circumstances under which they can be used can are outlined here
- Commercial Domain Name Request