Various forms of web publishing are available to university faculty, staff and students. Official university websites are published in the Content Management System (CMS). A CMS is used to manage and control a large, dynamic collection of web material and is used for content creation, content control, editing, and web maintenance functions. Depending on the use case web space on the main university web server is also available to host your website. Web hosting space for student organizations to publish their websites is also provided.
- The CMS is designed with non-technical users in mind and provides an easy to use web interface to edit and update your web content with little to no programming or markup knowledge.
- Preserve consistent branding and navigation across your website.
- Conveniently update your website at any time from any place.
- Utilize versioning of your content to roll back changes.
- The main university web server supports Cold fusion, ASP .NET and either MS Access or SQL Server can be utilized if a database is required.
- Benefit from a higher reliability and uptime rate for your website as your content is hosted in a high availability environment.
- The infrastructure is also regularly scanned for security issues and automatically protected against common web attacks to improve the security of your website.
Hours of Availability
The service is available 24 x 7 x 365, except during planned maintenance and upgrades.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for getting started with this service.
Students Faculty Staff
Q:How do I request a website to be created or an existing website to be redesigned?
Please fill out the Web Services Request Form
and send it to the New Computer Center. To avoid any delays, make sure that the budgetary account information is filled out and the form has all the required signatures including that of the Project Manager. NO FEES will be accrued to your budget. Once we receive the form a web designer will contact you to setup an initial meeting to gather requirements, discuss project details, scope and timeline.
Q:How do I map a network drive?
Instructions for mapping a network drive on Windows XP can be found here
Instructions for Windows 7 can be found here
To map a drive to the web server, in the folder box type \\utpaweb\sharename$ using your share name. Make sure to add the dollar sign at the end. If this does not work try \\18.104.22.168\sharename$. Make sure the box that says Reconnect at Logon is checked so that the mapped drive will be available to you even if you logout or reboot your computer.
If you are logged into the machine with your domain account (which is your UTPA username password) then you will not be asked for a username and password. But if you are not logged in with your domain account then you will be prompted to enter your credentials. In the username box type utpa\ and your password to connect.
Q:Are there any tutorials available for the Content Management System?
We have a set of self paced videos that will walk you through some basic tasks in the Content Management System. You can find the links below.
CMS Video Tutorials
Oracle Drive Video Tutorials
- Request Access to a Web Site
- Create a Web site in the Content Management System
- Request a New Web Site