Q:What changes should I expect with Office 365?
- What is Office 365?
A cloud-based version of Microsoft Office, the familiar collaboration and communication applications and services that include: Microsoft Exchange, OneDrive for Business, Lync, and SharePoint. Office 365 is a full-featured email system that offers some great capabilities like integrated calendaring, web access, mobile device access support, and an increase in mailbox size from 5GB to 50GB. Office 365 is designed to allow its users the flexibility of working from virtually anywhere they have Internet access and through multiple devices.
- What are the limits of the new system? Can they be changed?
Here are the new limits under Office 365. They are set by Microsoft and cannot be changed.
These limits are very high, but in a few rare cases, you may encounter exceed one or more, especially if you frequently send emails to a large number of recipients. Please note: If you reach 10,000 recipients in a day, your email will be locked for 24 hours by Microsoft and the UTPA IT Help Desk will not be able to unlock it.
- Quota: 50GB
- Maximum size of attachment sent/receive: 25MB
- Maximum number of recipients per message: 500
- Maximum number of recipients per day: 10,000
If you send a large number of emails, you can request an email distribution list, which allows you to send out multiple emails to a list of addresses from a single email address. Sending an email to the distribution list will cause it to be sent to everyone you have added to that list.
If you need more information regarding alternative methods of sharing large files or sending large numbers of email messages, please contact the IT Help Desk.
- Is 50GB bigger than my current email quota?
Yes! Faculty and staff usually have about 5GB of email storage. This will give them up to 10 times more storage space.
- Will my email address change?
No, you will keep your existing email address and username.
- Will my password change?
- How do I log in to Office 365 using a web browser?
If you check your email using Outlook Web App (OWA), the web address has changed from https://outlook.utpa.edu to http://utpa.edu/mail. Enter your UTPA username and password then click the Sign-On button.
- Do I need to upgrade my browser?
Windows users should upgrade to at least Internet Explorer 9. Most modern browsers will work fine for Outlook Web App (OWA).
- Do I need a new email client?
Possibly. If you use Outlook, you must be using Outlook 2010 or 2013 (Windows) or Outlook 2011 (Mac). Older versions will not work. If you use Mac Mail, versions for Leopard, Snow Leopard, and Lion will work, but may require some reconfiguration. Please call the IT Help Desk at (956) 665-2020 for assistance.
- Will mailbox and calendar sharing permissions (delegates) be migrated or will they have to be set-up again?
Delegate permissions will migrate, but will require that users with delegation be migrated together.
- I check my mail using my Apple iPhone/iPad mobile device. Will that work with Office 365?
Yes. However, you will have to reconfigure your native iOS mail app.
- I check my mail using my Google Android mobile device. Will that work with Office 365?
Yes. However, you will have to reconfigure your native Android mail app.
- I check my mail using my Windows Mobile device. Will that work with Office 365?
Yes. However, you will have to reconfigure your native Windows Mobile mail app.
- I check my mail using a web browser. What will change for me?
If you check your email using a web browser, [i.e., Outlook Web App (OWA)], your web address changed from https://outlook.utpa.edu to http://utpa.edu/mail. Enter your UTPA username and password then click the Sign-On button.
- Can I move my existing mail to the new server?
All your mail currently on the existing servers should be migrated for you (though it's always a good idea to back up anything vital).
- Will all my contacts, notes, etc., be transferred?
If they are stored on the server, they will be transferred along with your mail.
- Will I be able to share my calendar with a Mac user?
Yes, you will be able to share calendars between Mac and PC users.
- Will the connection between my computer and the Cloud server be secure?
Yes. The email connection types (Exchange, IMAP, and SMTP) all support SSL encryption to secure your connection, and the web mail client uses https to secure your connection.
- Will my username and password be handled securely in the Cloud?
Yes. Your username and password are encrypted for security.
- Will my data be handled securely in the Cloud?
Office 365 mitigates against the risk of unauthorized physical access with extensive protections in their datacenters and operational procedures. Additionally, data from UTPA is housed only on servers located within the United States.
- What operating systems are supported?
Both Windows and Mac are supported, but make sure your system is up to date. You should be running Windows 7 with Service Pack 1, and Mac OS X 10.5.8, 10.6.8, or 10.7.3 for Macs. You can get more information on Office 365 system requirements on the Microsoft website.
- What about my archived mail / PST files?
If you currently use PST files (Outlook archive files) they will continue to work as before, stored on your local PC, or you may choose to upload them to the server where you can access them from anywhere. In the same way, mail stored on your local Mac or PC in standard mailbox (mbox) files can be used as is or uploaded to the new server. Please call the IT Help Desk at (956) 665-2020 for assistance in handling PST files.