The Statistical Consulting Center will offer a series of trainings that will prepare future Student Research Assistants. The tentative trainings are listed below.
1. Live with Data: RA Training #1 -- Data Input & Pre-processing
2. Live with Data: RA Training #2 -- Data Preparation and Exploratory Data Analysis
3. Live with Data: RA Training #3 -- Basic Statistical Analysis
4. Live with Data: RA Training #4 – Literature Search and Reporting Data Analysis Results
The first Training is coming up!!
Title: Live with Data: RA Training Module #1 -- Data Input & Pre-processing
Date/Time: Friday, Dec 13, 1-3pm
Location: MAGC 2.202
Instructor: Dr. Xiaohui Wang, Director of Statistical Consulting Center, Associate Professor
Topics: The Training will cover
· Introduction to Excel
· Hands-on data input from scratch (data are usually from survey questionnaires);
· Get organized with data files
· Introduction to R and SPSS
· Potential pre-processing procedures
· What a good and responsible RA will do?
· Basic understanding of statistics, i.e. at least one introduction level statistics course, and
· Strong desire to conduct research that utilizes quantitative data analysis.
Registration (Required): http://portal.utpa.edu/utpa_main/daa_home/ce_home/courses/course_096
Fee: UTPA Student $20 (either from your own pocket, or from a sponsoring faculty/project); Other (Faculty, Staff etc.) $30
Your gain in addition to the knowledge and skills: The attendees will be awarded a SCC RA Training Passport. Students who finish the series of trainings (i.e. carries the Passport with all four trainings’ stamps) will have the following advantages:
· will be input into the Student Research Assistant Repository that is initiated and maintained by SCC;
· will be recommended to faculty for RA position; and
· will be more likely to be hired as Student Research Assistant campus wide.