Wednesday, March 4, 2015
- Possible Blackboard Learn Downtime during Site Maintenance from Mar. 13th at 3:00am – 6:00am
From: Academic Affairs | Center for Learning Teaching & Technology
Description: Blackboard Learn may become unavailable due to an important maintenance update.
- 2do Concurso de Poesía-Cuento-Fotografía en la salud
From: Academic Affairs | Modern Languages and Literatures
El programa de Español Médico (Medical Spanish for Heritage Learners) anuncia el Segundo Concurso de Poesía-Cuento-Fotografía en la salud. El tema se limita a la salud, la enfermedad, y el profesional de...
- Journey Stories, a traveling exhibit from the Smithsonian Institution
- 08:00 AM - 05:00 PM Journey Stories, a traveling exhibit from the Smithsonian Institution will be on display at in the Library Shary Room from February 17 - March 27, 2015 on Monday-Friday, 8 a.m....
- “Big Read” Art Exhibit: Into the Beautiful North
- The Big Read is a program of the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) designed to restore reading to the center of American culture. This is the third time UTPA...
- Journey Stories
- Journey Stories, is a traveling exhibit from the Smithsonian Institution. Journey Stories are tales of how we and our ancestors came to America – are a central element of our...
- PATRICIA FABRE
- Paintings by visiting artist from Puebla, Mexico; exhibit sponsored by the Mexican Consulate in McAllen, TX. Exhibit will be open Monday through Friday, 8 am to 5 pm.
- Visiting artists workshops from Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico
- Fernando Silva, president of the Association of Contemporary Artists in Morelos A.C., and sculptor Jesus Franco will participate in FESTIBA with a workshop emphasizing the creative thinking process when designing...
- Celebrating Linguistic Diversity
- 08:45 AM - 10:30 AM Exhibit by 1301 students and multimedia performance by UTPA community members invite the audience to celebrate the linguistic diversity on our campus.
Faculty presenters/participants: Natalie Tupta and FYC students (under direction...
- Preserving the Past: Oral History Project
- 08:45 AM - 09:30 AM First Year Composition instructor and students will reflect on recorded experiences of individuals in the Rio Grande Valley in the context of life narratives. In addition to life in the...
- Reunión palabras
- 10:00 AM - 11:30 AM Faculty authors will read their original works written in Spanish.
Faculty moderator: Edna Ochoa, Modern Languages and Literature, UTPA
Faculty participants: Lino García. Ramiro Rea, Peter Browne, and Edna Ochoa.
- The “BIG READ”
- 11:45 AM - 01:00 PM Writing and Publishing from El Valle
Moderator: Amy Cummins
Presenters: David Rice, David Bowles, Chris Carmona, and Brenda Nettles-Riojas.
- Volcanic Ash, Petrified Wood, and Glowing Projectile Points: New Insights into the Geologic History of the Rio Grande Valley
- 12:00 PM - 01:00 PM This is the first component of a three-part lecture series to showcase UTPA’s CHAPS Program ongoing research. This lecture will look at a major Miocene volcanic eruption and what it...
- Gallery Magazine Reading
- 12:30 PM - 01:30 PM Come and get a preview of Gallery 2015 with selected authors and artists reading and presenting their work.
Faculty presenters/participants: Student contributing authors.
- Architectural Photography as a Career
- 02:00 PM - 03:00 PM Faculty presenters/participants: Juan Karlos Diaz of kolorprostudio.
- Creative Writing Panel
- 02:30 PM - 03:30 PM Undergraduate CW students will present their work.
Faculty presenters/participants: Mary Ann Escamilla and students.
- Playwright Partnerships in Theatre for Young Audiences
- 02:30 PM - 03:30 PM An interactive workshop. Co-authors Brian Warren and Marlene Galvan will share their experience collaboratively drafting, revising, and editing plays written for young audiences as well share pointers for developing successful...
- Academic Conference
- 04:00 PM - 05:00 PM "Juan Nepomuceno Cortina en Brownsville, identidad e historia en Texas: la gran ladronería en el Lejano Norte, de Carmen Boullosa.”
Faculty presenter: Dr. Guadalupe Cortina, Modern Languages and Literature, UTPA.
- Career in Jewelry
- 04:00 PM - 05:00 PM Faculty presenters/participants: Carlos Melguizo owner of Carats in McAllen.
- “Big Read” Film Series: The Magnificent Seven and Seven Samurai
- 05:00 PM - 06:30 PM The plot of Into the Beautiful North follows a classic pattern often found in quest novels. Luis Urrea emphasizes the story’s connection to other classic quest stories by paying homage...
- El intérprete médico y su contribución a la salud en el Valle
- 05:00 PM - 06:30 PM Students from the Medical Spanish for Heritage Learners program present reflective essays in Spanish about their experience at various health care institutions in the RGV.
Faculty presenter: Dr. Dolores Mendiola, Modern...
- Espirales al viento: Spanish Narrtives
- 05:00 PM - 06:30 PM Graduate Students will read their works in Spanish.
Faculty moderator: Dr. Edna Ochoa, Modern Languages and Literature, UTPA
Participants: Mónica Skspinski, Silvia Vera, Víctor Tijerina, Exal Chong, Jesús Ramos, Blanca Jaimes-Luna, and...
- Floricanto en El Valle
- 05:00 PM - 07:00 PM A reading/performance of new and classic Chican@ poetry, concluding with an open mic hosted by the Mexican American Studies Club.
Faculty presenters/participants: Emmy Pérez, Amalia Ortiz, David Rice, Chican@ Poetry &...
- 10 Minute Play Festival
- 07:30 PM - 09:30 PM Graduate student playwrights will present their original ten-minute plays.
Faculty presenters/participants: Phil Zwerling and MFA playwriting class.
- EVITA By Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice
- 07:30 PM - 08:30 PM The musical Evita is the colorful story of Eva Peron, second wife to Argentine dictator Juan Peron. Born an “illegitimate” child, Eva Peron rose to become the most powerful woman...